Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Glittering Poinsettias - Joy Clair Designs

 I have been having fun with Joy Clair's Merriest Moments digital stamp release lately.  Today's card features two of the six images from the "This Christmas" digital stamp set.  Fellow DT members have used all of these images on the Joy Clair Designs website and blog, but it's the first time for me.

I love the wreath and the tree, but as I looked more carefully at the images, I thought the candle would challenge my coloring when it came to adding color, shading, and dimension to the candle.  Plus, I loved the look of the poinsettias - and knew right away I wanted to use the "out of the box" die cutting technique with it.  It's an oldie-but-goodie technique.  If you are unfamiliar with it, take a peek at this tutorial from 2013!!

I started with the die cut circle and then colored the image with my Copic markers.  I underpainted the green leaves with blue in the shaded areas, so when I decided to keep my poinsettias white, I used blue for their shading.

I knew I needed a colored backdrop to help the white poinsettias pop and instead of coloring with Copics, I used Distress Oxide inks.  I masked the candle/poinsettia and blended some Speckled Egg with Hickory Smoke distress oxides for most of the background.  I used Scattered Straw with Mustard Seed for the behind the candle's flame.  Next, while the image was masked, I splattered white and brown inks.  Finally, I painted the poinsettia's white leaves with craft glue and sprinkled Distress Clear Rock Candy Glitter over them to add some sparkle! 

With all of that done, it was time to finish the card.  As I went through my paper collection, I knew I wanted the image to be the focal point and loved how the green ties in with the ink blending and green leaves.  The black tied in with the poinsettia outlines!  I just found a scrap of gold foil and the card base was done!  I added the sentiment, a few clear gems, and popped the candle out on foam.  I love how this one turned out!


 As I was designing this card, I have a feeling Sketch #28 from the Build Your Stash Holiday Cardmakers came into play! I always love a good sketch!! Thanks for stopping by my blog.  In kindness, Cathy 

Challenges Entered:
The Flower Challenge #74 /Add Embellishments

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful ... awesome coloring and I love your overall design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!

    Darlene
    PEACE ON EARTH
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love candle cards so peaceful - beautiful TFS over at POE - Elaine DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poinsettias are typical Winter Flowers and your card is beautiful with the candle between them. Thanks for joining our "Winter" Challenge @ Little Red Wagon. Hope to see you back again soon.

    Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful creation, I love this image and your stunning colouring. Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge DT Aileen

    ReplyDelete