Sunday, September 25, 2022

Copic Coloring & Joy Clair Design's Hello Pumpkin

 I am back on the Joy Clair blog today with another September Mood Board inspiration card.  This one features Hey Pumpkin, a 4x6 stamp available in the Joy Clair Designs Shop.  I love the image and had quite an adventure playing around with my patterned papers and enamel dots to finish off the card.  Using scraps from my scrap drawers and cutting into the patterned paper makes me happy!!  I have a good-sized stash!!

This image begged to be colored, so I broke out my Copics.  Oranges are a tricky combination in Copics, so I did my best with the YR markers I have in my collection.  As I have developed my coloring skills, I notice that when I am not happy with my coloring, I usually need to work on contrast.  This pumpkin needed something and I tried a bunch of combinations.  Before I put it away for the day, I tried one more idea and added a layer of Prismacolor colored pencils.  Sparingly and with a light touch, they are often just what I need to enhance my Copic work and bring a new dimension to my coloring.  I've zoomed in to part of the image so you can see what I mean:

I have added Prismacolor Premier Dark Purple #931 to deepen the shaded areas on the pumpkin and berries and Prismacolor Premier White  #938 for extra highlights on both.  I learned this technique from Amy Shulke at Vanilla Arts.  Her classes are amazing. She swears by the purple - and says it's a chameleon color because it can be used with so many colors.  I agree.  It's a rare card that I don't use it somewhere (unless I forget to pull out my pencils!!)! 

The beginning of October will be full of Joy Clair posts!  My next blog post is the 4th and then the Joy Clair Design October release drops on the 7th with so many fun images!  I have another post on the Joy Clair blog on the 9th.  Hope you will come back and see what I have been working on for you! 

Thanks for stopping by my blog.  
In kindness, Cathy




No comments:

Post a Comment