Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Orchid Sympathy

Unfortunately, I needed a sympathy card and worked on this one over the weekend.  It's a combination of a new-to-me Altenew stamp and products from my stash.  The stamp is Oriental Orchid, a layering stamp set from Altenew.  I bought it used because I don't have any other flowers like this in my collection.

To create the look I wanted, I had to search my stash for a pot or container and used PTI's Vase Collection 7 Mini stamp set with Speckled Egg and Broken China Distress inks.  I decided to heat emboss the flowers so I could keep them white and watercolored them with Spun Sugar, Pickled Raspberry, and Twisted Citron.  I didn't use all four steps of the layering stamps - and had to remember "let the water do the work". I came in with the last step and Picked Raspberry when the paper was still damp so the color would be vibrant, but the water still pulled the ink.  The yellow centers are done with Prismacolor pencils after the flowers were dried. The leaves are a combination of Peeled Paint, Crushed Olive, and Rustic Wilderness.  I needed to bend the stem to give it the angle you see here and all of the elements of the flowers, leaves, bucket and stem are fussy cut and layered together.  The flowers are popped out on foam squares and the leaves, vase, stem, and buds are glued right onto the background.  

I have been playing with foiling lately, so I got out my laminator and heat embossed my MFT's  Lined By Hand  background stamp and then foiled over the top.  It is hard to see in the photo, but only parts of the lines picked up the foiling.  I ended up ink blending the edges and actually love the look.  The sentiment is an old red rubber stamp from Verve - which I foiled as well. Pinkfresh Studio's Essential Blanket Stitch Slimline Die Set (mini slimline die).

I love how this card turned out, even though it took a lot of "playing around" and time to think/plan for me! I have enough leftover flowers and leaves to make another card - which is a side benefit from being willing to "play around." Thanks for stopping by my blog.                                                                   In kindness, Cathy

Challenges Entered:

613 Avenue Create-July / AG with optional twist/Black and White

NBUS #40/

Use Your Stuff #451 / Flowers

There's A Stamp for That FB Group Challenge #41/ Monochromatic; Brads/eyelets; flowers



10 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS, Cathy! I love how you colored the orchid and the dimension you got with the stems! Thanks for sharing this with NBUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful creation Cathy! I'm your newest follower. :)
    Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment and for following me!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous slimline! Very striking and I love the beautiful watercoloring and the little bit of gold foil. Thanks for joining us at UYS and hope you will play along in our next challenge! Tammy DT co-ordinator

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this card! The orchids are gorgeous and beautifully colored. The foiling makes this so very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your efforts and playing around were worth it, Cathy! You ended up with a spectacular card, beautifully painted and foiled, layered and framed! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you please email thedcdivas@gmail.com re: your win on Die Cut Divas - see our post at https://die-cut-divas.blogspot.com/2022/07/june-winner-reveal.html.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful card! Sympathy cards are difficult but this one makes an elegant and comforting creative statement! Thanks for sharing this beauty with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous card, so pretty!! Lovely image with the beautiful water coloring! Great design, too! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!
    You were selected as a Front Porch Winner for the month of July at 613 Avenue Create! Please stop by our blog and grab your badge!
    Hugz,
    The Design Team!

    ReplyDelete